Special Education Referral & Screening Process | Early Intervention | Early Childhood | Elementary & Middle School Service Options | Terms | English Language Learner Program | Social Services | Parent Resource
ELL Philosophy Statement
District 95 values students diverse backgrounds and their unique contributions to the learning community. In order to empower learners who are meeting the challenges of a new language and culture, District 95 will support English Language Learners as they develop social, cultural, and academic competence by creating a learning environment that:
- Expects students to meet high academic standards
- Facilitates effective communication in English through reading, writing, speaking, and listening
- Encourages risk taking and inquiry
In this way, District 95 will provide ELL students with an optimal learning environment in every academic setting.
Overview of District 95 ELL Services
Upon enrollment in District 95, all new students must complete a Home Language Survey. ELL Screening will be conducted for students as appropriate after review of the Home Language Survey. ELL Services are provided for eligible students as determined by ELL Evaluation.
Grades K-8 ELL Instruction
- ELL students are placed in regular classrooms; all classroom instruction is conducted in English. ELL students participate in Language Arts, Math, Science, Social Studies, Art, Music, Physical Education (PE or Gym), Computer and Library classes, etc.
- Individual student needs determine the intensity of ELL instruction.
- ELL instruction for students in Kindergarten through eighth grade is scheduled during regular school hours. The ELL teacher and classroom teacher work collaboratively to plan appropriate instruction for students.
- The majority of ELL instruction is administered in a small group setting outside of the regular classroom. However, ELL teachers and assistants also provide support within the regular classroom when appropriate.